meaning of “bisbig” ?

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

  • Keymaster
    HBrock25 on #158163

    Hello all

    Just wondering if anyone out there could tell me what the phrase
    “bisbig ” along with several horizontal lines, between two harp notes means?

    Thanks so much for your help.

    dawn-penland on #158164


    1. (music) A special tremolo effect on the harp where a chord or note is rapidly repeated at a low volume. Usually, the effect is achieved by both hands playing adjacent strings set to the same pitches and can sound like strumming a guitar or “watery“. On sheet music, it is represented by three thick lines connecting the notes to be trilled.

    katie hall on #158165

    Thank you Dawn!
    For some reason no responses when simply googling bisbig.. makes sense now that it is short for something!

    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #158166

    Actually, that is more like a tremolo or enharmonic trill. Bisbigliando generally means a triad played with both hands on either the same notes or different inversions that overlap. A famous example of it is in Chabrier’s Espana. There are also bisbigliando passages that travel up and down the harp, a famous example of which is in the Pierne Impromptu-Caprice which starts at the top and works its way down to set at the bottom. Hasselman’s Follets is all bisbigliando. The special quality of a bisbigliando comes from replacing over and over on the same strings, barely touching them.

    Playing two adjacent notes is a trill, and a third apart or more is a tremolo. Playing a chord as an arpeggio over and over is also a tremolo.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.