harpcolumn

Manicure

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Manicure

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    amy-hueber
    Participant

My guess is that manicures are not the best idea for harpists. Polish may be ok but not gel coats? Girls day out event. Thanks

Molly
    Participant

I think a gel manicure would be fine, as long as you keep them filed short. You could probably make a French manicure stretch a bit longer, because it wouldn’t be as obvious as it grows out. Just file them down weekly and you should be left with a pretty decent looking manicure until the white is all gone. Then it will just be clear.

balfour-knight
    Participant

I suppose you could have fake nails put on for your “girls day out event,” and then remove them when you get back to your harp. Molly, you gave great advice–just keep the nails short for playing the harp!

Best to both of you,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

I tried clear nail polish once, and it added a very noticable thickness to my nails that definitely interfered with my playing. The chemicals in it also penetrated into my finger and I could not wait to remove it. Harpists do not need polish. You can buff your nails and make them shine. That is all.

amy-hueber
    Participant

These were very helpful – thank you! I explained to the manicurist the ways of harp hands. So a very light clear polish just for a little bling fun. I had heard about serious issues from people who had fake nails done; which they don’t do at this spa. What I do recommend to everybody is get a hand massage! That was terrific and she worked muscles and tendons right up to your elbow. And wrapped my hands in steamed, essential laveneder oil enfused warm towels. Just the ticket! Anyway, thank you.

Molly
    Participant

How lovely! I’m glad you were able to get some pampering!

You also want to make sure they don’t soak your fingers, lest you lose any callouses. No Palmolive.

Celeste Kostyniuk
    Participant

I had my first gel nails in April (on vacation). They looked lovely, lasted a LONG time, but the removal was a PITA, and I never got it fully off (can go to a salon for removal which would be much better, but I had a crazy week once it started to grow out, didn’t have time so did it with a kit at home). Then my nails peeled horridly!
    I always keep my nails super short, but I like to have a regular manicure now and then, because my hands look so much better.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies