harpcolumn

Lyra Angelica

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Lyra Angelica

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I scrolled through the events section on HC and a performance tomorrow of Adagio from Lyrica Angelica by William Alwyn caught my eye. I was not familiar with this harp concerto so I listened on youtube to the performance by Rachel Masters with the City of London Philharmonic Orchestra. I wanted to bring this to the attention of those who, like me, are not familiar with this exquisite, expressive harp concerto.

evolene_t
    Participant

Thank you Gretchen for this recommendation. Do you have any link to a video or audio where we could hear a good version of this?
    Thanks!

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Go to youtube. Type William Alwyn Lyra Angelica. You will see the CD cover of the recording. Recording is by City of London Sinfonia, Richard Hickox conducting. I don’t know how to get youtube links on HC. Maybe someone else can do so. Thx.

MusikFind1
    Participant

Publication Details:

William Alwyn (b. Northampton, UK, 7 November 1905: d. Southwold, Suffolk, UK, 11 September 1985)

Lyrica Angelica, Concerto for harp and strings (1953/1954)

The score and harp part are for sale

https://www.emsmusic.com/product_p/emsg63203.htm

LEN999al / hp, str orch

EXTRA IMPORT POSTAGE APPLIES.

Item# Item Name
    EMS122240 ALWYN, William – Lyra Angelica. – octavo score – AL01189 ca. $15.00
    EMS307387 ALWYN, William – Lyra Angelica. – harp (32 pp.) – AL00467 ca. $17.00

Dur: 26′

Pub: Alfred Lengnick & Co., now owned by Universal Music Publishing Group

String Orchestra parts rental agent: zinfonia.com https://www.zinfonia.com/default.aspx

“Alwyn’s concerto for harp and string orchestra, Lyra Angelica, was popularized when the American figure skater Michelle Kwan performed to it at the 1998 Winter Olympics.”

Other works with harp by Alwyn:

Eight Irish Folk Tunes – Suite for Flute, Violin, Viola and Harp <1934>

2 Folk Tunes for cello or viola and piano (or harp) <1936>

French Suite (Fanfare, Rondeau, Gavotte, Two Interwoven Tunes:

Les Matelots de L’isle de Cythere, Les Septs Sauts, Menuet I & II, Air de Chasse)

for Flute, Violin, Viola and Harp <1937>

Concerto for Oboe, Harp and string orchestra <1943/1944> oboe and piano ca. $15.25

[recording on Chandos]

Suite for Oboe and Harp (1. Minuet. 2.Valse Miniature. 3.Jig) <1943/1944>

The Cherry Tree Carol (Traditional) for voice and harp <1945>

Crepuscule for Harp Solo <1955> ca. $8.00

Naiades – fantasy sonata for flute & harp <1971> ca. $16.00

[recording on “Taking Flight” by Lyrebird Ensemble]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.