harpcolumn

Lyon & Healy Washburn question

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Lyon & Healy Washburn question

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mary Poe
    Participant

I inherited a Lyon & Healy Washburn harp from my grandmother. I have contacted Lyon & Healy to get some information on it, but I thought it might be good to ask here, as this seems to be a knowledgeable group.

The plate says Lyon & Healy Washburn and the serial # is W-115. I’ve exhausted my googling skills and haven’t seen another Washburn with a letter in the serial #, and the people I emailed with at Lyon & Healy seemed stumped as well. Does anybody have any leads for me, or any more information about this harp?

The information I’ve gathered is that the Washburn line was a very short-lived experiment in the early 1900s, and they were primarily student harps sold at a lower price point. I’ve been trying to get an accurate appraisal so that I can insure it properly.

Thanks in advance for any help, and I’m happy to send pictures or add them if that would help!

carl-swanson
    Participant

I wrote a reply to this several hours ago. I have no idea where it went.

Washburns were made in the 1930’s for sale in retail music stores, not direct from the factory as the other Lyon & Healy models were. Lyon & Healy wanted to keep their name for themselves and for sales directly from the factory. So they came up with the name Washburn. I have no idea what or who that refers to. They have a serial number series that is separate from the usual Lyon & Healy series. The W in the serial number probably just means Washburn.

The Minneapolis Board of Education had a
    Washburn harp on which I first studied pedal harp. Some of the pedal rods were broken, so I could only use certain pedals, or I had to manually return the pedal to its other position, maybe it was jammed. It had sadly been painted locker-green, and the sounding board was painted brown, so the sound was completely dulled. I wish I’d had the sense to take it and have it rebuilt. I think I might have asked and LH said it was not worth doing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies