Lyon & Healy Chicago Concert Grand

• Participant
    Autumn Wonderlich on #75146

I am planning on buying a Lyon & Healy Chicago Concert Grand with the extended soundboard and was wondering if anyone has heard/played one? Just wondering if it sounds as good as more expensive pedal harps..

Any comments would help.

Thanks, Autumn

Participant
    brook-boddie on #75147

Autumn,

I can’t comment on the extended soundboard model of this series, but I recently purchased the 40-string straight board model.

Participant
    barbara-low on #75148

I played an extended board Chicago a few months back. Thought it was a great sounding harp; even throughout, responsive, good tone for being new. That being said, It’s always best to try a harp out before buying though, as all harps have their own “personality.”

One reason for more expensive concert grands is the amount of man hours expended on carving and/or gilding, so cost doesn’t necessarily reflect the quality of sound.

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #75151

I have one, but I’m not sure I want to sell it. What you can do is commission a portrait from an artist who can work from a photograph.

Participant
    Autumn Wonderlich on #75149

Thanks everyone for the comments!

I actually got a Chicago yesterday and it sounds great! It sounds just as good as more expensive pedal harps. So far the few minutes that it stays in tune the songs sound amazing!

Autumn

Participant
    David Ice on #75152

I’m fortunate enough to have an original (via Marjorie Call) full length portrait of Salzedo standing next to a Salzedo model.

Participant
    brook-boddie on #75150

Congratulations on your new harp, Autumn!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.