harpcolumn

Lyon and Healy Style 14

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Lyon and Healy Style 14

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    eva-murphy
    Participant

Ok. I’ve played Lyon and Healy 15s. However I’m asking here about the Lyon and Healy Style 14. My student has a chance to rent her first pedal harp (to be picked up in another city, a good drive away), and it’s an old Lyon and Healy 14. Anyone on the list familiar with the old 14? It has 43 strings. I’m guessing that with so few strings, it will be shorter than a 15. Here’s what I’m concerned about: I once played on a really old Lyon and Style 12. It was a harp that was quite petite, decorated some, and some gilding. It was a lovely little pedal harp. However, the narrower string spacing and the pedals being somewhat closer together (the pedal spacing was almost like a Salvi Daphne) really messed me up. Even though I am a seasoned pro, I was not consistently enough playing the correct strings when I tried it out, and when I reached for a pedal it wasn’t in the usual place like I was used to. My student is reasonably tall for her age. Someday, she’ll want a concert grand. She is progressing nicely, so she will likely own her own pedal harp with standard string spacing and pedals that are the standard distance apart, in future years. I want her to be able to easily make the transition someday to a more standard harp. I don’t want to mess her up. Also, she will likely have access to a harp at school with standard string spacing and pedals (in her orchestra class), and I don’t want her to have to make a mental shift from one type of string spacing/pedals to another within the same day every day, while she is learning to make the shift from levers to pedals. Please reply either to the list or to me personally if you have actually PLAYED or repaired a L&H Style14. Thank you.

Eva, I have alternated for years practicing and teaching on

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.