harpcolumn

Louis Spohr’s gorgeous Concertante for Harp and Violin

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Louis Spohr’s gorgeous Concertante for Harp and Violin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Participant

Firstly I’m not a harpist, though I am a composer/arranger and have spent many hours working with Sydney based harpists in the past, hence, I write for it in my orchestrations when I can.

I’m totally besotted with Louis Spohr’s delicious Concertante for Harp, Violin and Orchestra. I’m trying to find the band parts for this but coming up against a brick wall.

If you can point me in the right direction that would be wonderful.

David

I forgot to mention, I own five recordings of this gorgeous work (Lausanne Chamber Orchestra, English Chamber Orchestra (my fav), Radio Luxemborg Symphony Orchestra – all on CD via iTunes. The fourth is a tape from a radio broadcast from the Queensland Symphony Orchestra, this was the first time I heard this work). Thanks

barbara-brundage
    Participant

You can get the parts on rental from lyramusic.com (the edition edited by Dewey Owens). There may be other versions available.

Clinton, do you have anything in your list?

Dear Clinton,

Thank you so much for the tip off about this work, I’ll investigate. I don’t think I understood your final sentence, please explain?

David

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Clinton Nieweg, who posts here from time to time, maintains an extensive database of harp ensemble parts. I was asking him if he knew of any other available editions. Sorry, I realize that may have been confusing to you.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Thanks, Clinton!

The first modern performance was given by Kathy Kienzle, harp, and Romuald Tecco, violin, with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra. I don’t know where they got the music, but it was performed over the objections of the publisher, Don Henry, who I believe was reserving the premiere for Mildonian and Ricci. So they very likely may have found original music to use.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies