harpcolumn

Looking for support on adult learning and on buying a harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Looking for support on adult learning and on buying a harp

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Prajna,

Your comment about being shy about telling peope about the harp because of the expense rang true for me. Be prepared for people to ask how much your instrument costs. They always do, and then say, “Whaaaa?”

I usually respond by telling them “it is the most stupid, fiscally irresponsible, wonderful and fulfilling decision I have ever made.”

Prajna
    Participant

Hi Biagio, thank you again for writing about your experience and for the suggestions. I have never been someone that is good at self-thought methods. I can do it, but not well. But I could go to class every day if needed, and really enjoy it. I love learning. So lessons with a teacher will be important to me.

Alyson,

I love that line to tell people we know. Right now I am in the “this is the most stupid and financially irresponsible decision ever” ☺. Hopefully once I actually start playing and learning, I will integrate the second part of the response into mine as well. 😉

Barbara
    Participant

Hello Prajna! How exciting that you’re starting to play the harp! From my experiences teaching very young and more “mature” students, I have found that the different ages have great things to bring to the table. One thing about adult students is that they tend to be learning to play an instrument because they want to, which is great! Remember to have fun with it!

Judith Feldman
    Participant

Hi Prajna, I am a 67yo looking to purchase my first harp. I have a long history of playing piano and keyboard instruments and have always thought about playing a harp. Figured I’d better get started soon. I loved reading about others starting later in life, as well. I saw an EMS Christel Harp, not in the same category, I think, of the harps you mentioned. I wonder if starting out with a less expensive one I found used is a good decision.
    I would appreciate any input from anyone.
    Judy

Prajna
    Participant

Hi Barbara, thank you for writing and for the support. After hearing from so many of you, I am really starting to feel more into what I have to offer to this learning process, instead of looking at the fact that I didn’t start playing since I was 5! So thank you for reinforcing that!

Judy, I’m so excited to have another adult stating to play now too! I hope you have a wonderful journey with this too!

And to everyone: I have rented my harp!!! I am SO beyond excited. Walking into the harp showroom, where they had maybe 40 or more harps, was breathtaking! They had six harps for me to listen to. I listened to all of them, sat behind them and “played” ☺ then myself, and it was like magic, but I knew the right harp for me right away.

The last three I narrowed down to were the Ravenna, Ogden and Troubadour. I discarded the Ravenna, as I didn’t connect as much with the brighter sound. I loved the sound of the Ogden, and also of the Troubadour. When I sat behind each of them, they both felt incredible. Now, when I sat behind the Troubadour…. wow…. it was instant magic. I am fairly tall (5’9″), and with the Troubadour I felt so grounded, and that it could fully support me. Even the manager of the store said she saw right away that that was my harp. ☺

I am soooo excited.

I also found a wonderful teacher that I feel very connected with. She listened to who I am, why I am wanting to learn the harp, and really spoke to my needs and in taking the learning process in a way that will keep my heart and inspiration alive, instead of just making it about learning the techniques. I have my first class next Monday. I can hardly wait!!

Thank you all so so much for all of your help and support. I look forward to letting my soul speak through the harp, and to learn more about myself in the process.

I’m so glad to have found this community! And very thankful for all of you taking the time to write and help me.

wil-weten
    Participant

Hi Prajna, I am so happy for you that you found a great harp and a nice teacher!

wil-weten
    Participant

Hi Judy, frankly, for several reasons, I do think that in the long run, you would be much happier with one of the harps mentioned earlier in this thread. And if you live in Europe, in your shoes I would also have a serious look at Camac harps and Teifi harps.

The first question is: what kind of music do you like most: classic, traditional, pop or even jazz? Or are you looking for a harp that is more or less suitable to all kinds of music?

Angela Biggs

Prajna, I’m so glad to hear you’ve found your harp and teacher matches! Best wishes with your first steps. 🙂 Angela

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies