harpcolumn

Looking for beginning harp books

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Looking for beginning harp books

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    romola
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m just learning to play the harp, and my teacher recommended a few books to get me started:
    -Levers Up, Thumbs Up
    -Fun from the First (vol. 1 and 2)

It looks as if these books are old or out of print, and the only places I can find them online are rather expensive for me. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can find these books affordably, or does anyone have old copies they’d be willing to sell me?

Thanks so much, and all my best!

Myds
    Participant

Welcome the the world of the harp! Depending on where you live, you’re likely to have to order your harp books. Fun from the First is still published. There are many sources out there, but you need to shop around if you want the best price. I just checked harp connection and you can pick up both volumes for $17.50. Harp.com also has them, but they are $26.50. I don’t know what the shipping is – it depends where you live. I live in Canada, so I wince every time I order material. You might want to check with local harp teachers. They may keep a supply of beginner books and/or order books on a semi-regular basis. They may be willing to order the books for you the next time they go shopping. You will likely have to chip in a bit for shipping. It certainly would be worth it to ask?

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Your teacher may want to check out the music on http://www.folkharp.com. Much of the music at Melody’s is available as a PDF so you would not have to worry about shipping costs if what you select is available in PDF. I use this site a lot because it shows the first page or more of the music. You can try before you buy. Kathryn Cater has excellent student harp music. It is available there and on other harp music websites. BTW, Harp Connection also shows a sample page of music.

Sue Rothstein has some great beginner books, and so does Julia Kay Jamieson.

Angela Biggs

Hi Romola,
    Fun from the First Vol 1 is on sale at Harp Connection right now for $4.95. Their shipping is reasonable, and they get the stuff out the door quickly. The second volume is currently $12.50 at the same store.
    Have fun with your lessons!
    Angela

romola
    Participant

Thanks so much!!!

carl-swanson
    Participant

Romola- You didn’t say if you are learning lever harp or pedal harp, and you don’t say if you have any musical background, like the ability to read music. These are important factors in deciding where to start.

Fun from the First and Levers up, Thumbs up are probably good books if you are a rank beginner. Once you can read lines and spaces, and can get around playing very simple melodies, you might take a look at my new publication from Carl Fischer Music, Bochsa Revisited. These are easy etudes that are great for building a technical foundation, and there is a version for pedal harp, and another for lever harp. If you go to my web site, http://www.swansonharp.com, you can read more about it there and even order it. In the next couple of weeks it will be available at all the usual harp music outlets(Harp Connection, Vanderbilt, Melody’s Traditional Music, Amazon, sheetmusicplus, etc.).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies