harpcolumn

Long fingernails even after trimming? Does this get in the way?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play Long fingernails even after trimming? Does this get in the way?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David Kitamura
    Participant

I may have made a post asking about this a loooong time ago, but after the forum was restructured I believe that topic got lost and I can’t find a record in my profile of it. Sorry for those who may have responded back then…

Anyway I had an odd question concerning the way my fingernails grow when it comes to a point where I finally have an instrument to learn and practice with regularly. I hear that long nails are a general no-go for harp playing, but my fingernails trimmed down to the skin still do not leave a fleshy fingertip of any kind. This time I thought to attach photos of my hand for a clear sense of perspective. My actual experience with playing available harps in a showroom is very limited and never with any instruction so I’m not aware if this would be a significant problem down the line. Am I just completely overthinking this?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tacye
    Participant

I can easily play with fingernails that long. With a fingers down, thumbs up hand position I wouldn’t expect them to be any trouble.

Biagio
    Participant

They look fine to me, David; as you practice your placements and technique you will soon learn if any need trimming. Usually for me it is the thumb (finger 1) that may need filing on the string side when (for example) reaching over or under. Depending on your harp and the effect you want you may actually wish to use the nails, sometimes.

wil-weten
    Participant

Hi David, you may like to see how professional harpists, e.g. Josh Layne put their fingertops at the strings.

You may like to have a look at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOHAHKG1KnA

Elettaria

Well, if you switched to harps that are played with the nails (wire harp, Paraguayan harp) you’d be sorted with nails like that!

David Kitamura
    Participant

Thank you all for the responses. I was worried that to pursue the craft I might have had to do something drastic like permanently push back the hyponychium of my fingers which sounds unpleasant for so many reasons.

As neat as wire harps are, it seems that there’s a lot less support for it especially when it comes to available vendors and teachers. I can’t see it becoming my primary instrument.

Biagio
    Participant

That’s true David, although it is worth remembering that many popular tunes were originally composed for the clarsach or the pipes. If your harp is nylon strung you can get close to the same effect, just with less sustain.

It’s so easy to want to try every different harp I hear! Best to stick with one style at first.

Loonatik

You should be able to play the harp with those nails, as long as you take note of the shape of the hand, and have a strong technique.

If you get poor tone quality or unwanted noises from the nails hitting the strings when they are plucked, then you’re probably “clawing” the strings, rather than plucking them correctly.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.