harpcolumn

L&H soundboard decoration removable?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories L&H soundboard decoration removable?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    le_sacre
    Participant

Does anyone know how easy it is to remove soundboard decoration from a Lyon & Healy pedal harp? E.g., a Style 85. I can’t even tell from descriptions whether these decorative patterns are applied as decals or painted on in some way. Is it as simple a matter as peeling off a decal? Or is it something you would hire a technician for to protect the soundboard finish? …or would it simply be inadvisable to try?

wil-weten
    Participant

I’ve got a L&H Prelude (lever harp) and the decoration is under the finish, so, yes, I think it would simply be costly to have the decoration removed and the soundboard refinished and I am not sure the result would be esthetically pleasing.

You may contact L&H though and ask if they are willing to make you a pedal harp without the usual decorations.

carl-swanson
    Participant

The soundboard decoration is a decal, which is applied on top of several coats of finish, and then more finish is applied over it, so that it is sealed all around by finish. It would be a lot of work removing it, and then once it is gone, there will be a “shadow” of the outline where the decal was. So my advice is to just leave it.

le_sacre
    Participant

Got it, thanks for the info!

I can’t imagine wanting to remove their beautiful decals.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies