harpcolumn

Lever harp strings

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Lever harp strings

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Erickson
    Participant

I heard somewhere that on a lever harp you are supposed to use the type of string it was designed for. If you don’t the harp can be damaged. How can it be damaged, in what way? My lever harp was originally designed with nylon in the second octave but when

barbara-brundage
    Participant

What people mean is that you should use strings okayed by the maker. Lever harp strings are not standardized at all, not like pedal harps. Some harps use pedal harp strings, some use much lighter stringing than that. It’s not so much a question of gut v. nylon as that you can damage a harp by putting, say, pedal harp strings on a harp not designed to cope with that much pull.

In your case I think you have a harp that uses pedal strings, right? A L&H, wasn’t it? No worries about damage in that case.

dave-lynch
    Participant

The particular overall string tension and feel is part of the design criteria of the harp.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.