harpcolumn

Lever Harp Music

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Lever Harp Music

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    lisa-kikol
    Participant

I have a 14yr old student — playing harp for 2 years (after years of piano) — talented and bright — but high school is starting and many things pulling at her now.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Have you checked the books (classical and popular) by Barbara Brundage and Ray Pool? Also by Louise Trotter. Depends on your student’s taste in music. Maybe she’d like Matt Mayberry’s arrangement of “Clocks” by Coldplay. It’s available from Vanderbilt for either lever harp or pedal harp, so be sure to get the right one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Many of Kathryn Caters books have a variety of music, making use of full levers to give jazzy sounds, etc.

lisa-kikol
    Participant

Not familiar with Kathryn Caters books.

lisa-kikol
    Participant

I do know Barbara Brundage books.

Tacye
    Participant

Are any of Bernard Andres works in her ability range suitable for her taste? Vanille?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Plus, there is “New Blues” by DHC (Deborah Henson-Conant), which is a harder piece but something your student might be motivated to work on in the future. The Kater links I included above have links to videos of some of the pieces and you can certainly find many of the pieces (including Nataliana and New Blues and other Kater works) mentioned in this thread easily on Youtube.

What about the Joyce Rice Pieces?

cynthy-johnson
    Participant

I have a 13yr old student that has been playing lever harp for 4 years. She has played many pieces of music (classics, etc.); however the pieces that keep her coming back to the harp are Frank Voltz’s jazz pieces.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies