harpcolumn

Lever Harp longevity

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Lever Harp longevity

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

Thanks. I googled “briggs harps” and found a photo or two. Handsome harps!

Mira Devi
    Participant

If you read through the R-Harps website you will see that he builds it with a different technology than other harps. There’s a kind of support system built inside the sound box that takes tension off of the sound board. That is what will supposedly give the Merlin Harp extended longevity (and beautiful, resonant sound). I don’t know if the “generations” thing is true. But I certainly expect my Merlin to last several decades. What I can say is that after a couple of years, the sound board is not bending upwards AT ALL in most of the lower range. And it is only very slightly bowing in the mid to upper range. This bending is nothing compared to what I’ve seen happening with other lever harps. Very interesting…..

tony-morosco
    Participant

Well, my Lyon and Healy Folk Harp is almost 20 years old. It has traveled coast to coast and has its fair share of bangs and dings. It is the material definition of well worn.

It has loveland levers, which have been regulated a couple of times but none have ever needed to be replaced. The sound board is slightly raised but not too much. It actually sound Much better than it did when new, and even better than it did 10 years ago.

I have do doubt that it has many good years left.

I have a older harp from the 70’s. It has seen better days and I have to treat it with kids gloves although it is still very playable (it doesn’t even have blades. It has hooks). But the L&H is build like a rock.

Certainly how long a harp lasts will depend on a lot of factors, but 5 years? That seems pretty short lived to me. That is how long many warranties are, certainly, but most harps outlast their warranties by a long margin. You just have to maintain them well.

jennifer-rehfisch
    Participant

I have a pilgrim clarsach.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies