harpcolumn

Learning piano before harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Learning piano before harp

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Susan Ottzen
    Participant

I start piano and harp together for kids and include the computer music games http://www.musiclearningcommunity.com It makes note reading easier. Eventually they will gravitate to one instrument over the other

The big benefit pianists have is their exposure to the music of great composers, and a broader repertoire, which gives them a better perspective, in some cases, on harp literature. The piano has its equivalent literature to the “harpy literature” but it has gone out of fashion (only to be replaced by stuff like Lorie Line or John Tesh!)

It’s not necessary, although if a parent were considering starting a child on an instrument before age 8 I would recommend it- Maybe just to get to the point where they can read music so they can move up faster when they start harp, which will lead to a more enjoyable harp experience.

Alison
    Participant

It seems to me that learning to read music and elementary music theory should make use of both instruments to support learning, concepts and introduce flexibility, so that the child isn’t fixed on one instrument and can progress and reuse the principles on

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics