column

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you — CURTIS!!!

Home Forums Coffee Break Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you — CURTIS!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Owosso Harpist
    Participant

Recently “Gilligan” my rental harp encountered problems with 2 of his
    feet. One, the right foot front came off as I was moving him to another
    location. The other, the hind right foot, broke off when I was wheeling
    him home from performing at the local farmer’s market. I had to use
    Elmer’s WoodGlue Max to fix both legs. The legs are as good as new. But I
    don’t have to have another incident again whether I have the rental
    harp or the pedal harp I’ll eventually own. So to prevent this from
    happening again, I decided to go against my harp wishes and buy a small
    lever harp I can carry around and be like the many harpists who can’t
    afford to haul their beloved pedal harps around, thus resorting to have a
    small lever harp for public gigs. I cannot afford to have incidents
    like what has happened last Saturday again. I just have to have a small
    lever harp to do public gigs for support and money to buy my own pedal harp whether I like it or not.

deb-l
    Participant

pretty cool harp Sherry!

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Can’t think why you “despised” the non pedal harp. Pedal harps haven’t been around for that long.

Owosso Harpist
    Participant

I “despised” the non-pedal harp because it wasn’t exactly like the pedal harp at all. I grew up looking at pictures and images of pedal harps and became so in love with them that I just have to have one for myself. Nothing else. Many years ago, when I first tried to play the harp, I was given the troubadour harp to rent and played on. At first I was thrilled to play and rent it assuming it was exactly the same as a great big pedal harp. My mistake. It turned out to be a totally different unwanted harp I don’t want to play, let alone rent and own at all. For years I hated lever harps except for the rare types that have the look and feel of the pedal harp like the Pratt harps for instance. Now after dealing with problems with broken feet coming from the rental pedal harp, I just have no choice but to put aside my hatred towards the lever harp and buy a small gigging harp I can use for performing gigs to raise money for my own pedal harp to enjoy for years to come. I just couldn’t afford to take my rental harp out to perform gigs around town anymore like I used to.

Evelyn Tournquist
    Participant

If you had this accident,I don’t understand why you spent all the money you have earned on a Harpsicle instead of simply calling your insurance company, filing a claim and having the harp fixed by a professional.

If your harp is insured through a musical instrument insurer your coverage most likely includes repair for the damage, shipping to wherever you are getting it fixed AND up to $600.00 per month to pay for a new rental harp while yours is being fixed.

Owosso Harpist
    Participant

Both the feet turned out to be an easy fix for me. All I had to do is use Elmer’s Carpenter WoodGlue Max to repair the feet. Since then I had no problems moving and standing the harp around once the glue became completely dry and harden and the feet became good as new. I didn’t need to file a claim nor did I need to send the harp out for repairs. Two easy fixes and one great wood glue product is all that it took to save me a lot of money and a lot of heartaches down the road. My rental harp is as good as new as you can see in the pictures below.

The first incident happened when I was moving it out of the way while I was cleaning my apartment house

deb-l
    Participant

you mentioned the Pratt harps as an exception to your dislike for lever harps.

Evelyn Tournquist
    Participant

But except for the deductible (which I assume is fairly low) you wouldn’t have had any out of pocket expenses – that’s why you are paying for insurance, isn’t it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.