harpcolumn

Kinked Harp String

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Kinked Harp String

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Olivia G.
    Participant

I

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Since you have it, you might as well try it, but generally the white spot is a weak spot and the string will break sooner than it would otherwise, so I’d go ahead and order a replacement to have ready.

Sam Karlinski
    Participant

I imagine that if it’s first octave, you should have more than enough for two string replacements? If so, just clip the string after the white spot and use the rest! Also, I’ve found that the string holds just as well as a non-kinked string if the white part is in the portion of string wrapped around the peg.

~Sam

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, very true, Sam. I didn’t think of that.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I can’t say that I’ve ever seen a string break at that white spot when the string got kinked. maybe I was just unaware. Also, I rarely use first octave gut, and certainly they would be more prone to breaking at the kinked spot.

Tacye
    Participant

If it was only a normal kink the white spot will not be any weaker than where the string is kinked coming out of the soundboard or at the knot.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.