harpcolumn

Keeping hands warm when the venue is cold!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Keeping hands warm when the venue is cold!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    armande-fryatt
    Participant

Any thoughts or advice on this subject please, other than wear gloves up until the performance?

Some ideas: Female players could use a muff, in which they have put

armande-fryatt
    Participant

Thank you Patricia for your comprehensive response!

Tacye
    Participant

If it is really cold you want to start the performance with warm hands (hand warmer, hot water bottle, enough layers – I have a snazzy wrap to wear while sitting around and it is amazing how many layers you can hide under a long dress if you need to).

laurie-rasmussen
    Participant

Wristies are great, I keep a pair in all my harp cases so I’m never without them. They’re comfortable to wear while playing and don’t get in the way of your fingers. They also make a “heated” model with pockets to hold those disposable hand warmers. They would be useful for really cold situations:

http://www.wristies.com/Heated_Wristies_s/77.htm

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I play in cold weather all the time.

Elizabeth L
    Participant

Why are you playing in cold weather all the time?

barbara-low
    Participant

The wool fingerless gloves mentioned above is a great idea, especially the ones that go up to the elbows. Lightweight silk undergarments (tops & bottoms) work well in keeping your body warm, as well as a scarf around your neck. If you can wear a slouchy beret, popular right now, that will keep you even warmer, and won’t get in the way of the harp.

Outfits in a wool jersey will be warm, and have enough give and drape to be comfortable while playing.

If you knit, there’s lots of patterns for free on the net. I’ve made two pair, one in black and the other light pink, and they really do help when the fingers get chilled.

I like to wear wool because it’s a good insulator, but breathes and wicks moisture away from your skin so you aren’t left feeling cold and clammy.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I play Renaissance festivals and Celtic Festivals all over the country, all year round.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies