harpcolumn

Just started want to pursue a career

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Just started want to pursue a career

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Participant

Hi, I am new to the harp and have only just completed my grade 4. I am 21 years old and so far I really love it!. I know that it would be a lot of work if I want to pursue a professional harp career but I am prepared to do what it takes I just need to know what to do in order to get there. I am really interested in pursuing careers in :

1) Harp Therapy
    2) Orchestral Harp
    3) Becoming a teacher later on
    4) Playing at festivals/weddings etc

Please could someone help let me know what qualifications I need in order to do this and I will be very grateful 🙂 Thank you 🙂

alice-freeman
    Spectator

For harp therapy, you will get answers to some of your questions by exploring the following Web sites:

For music thanatology:

alice-freeman
    Spectator

The International Harp Therapy Program link should be: http://harprealm.com/

Regarding Orchestral Harp, there are few openings, and when there are, many competitors for the Principal Harp position, in large cities. Community Orchestras would not pay a living wage. There are at least three publications to own, that have excerpts of just the more difficult harp parts in orchestra repertoire: Principal Harp (by Sarah Bullen, published by Vanderbilt Music Company; with a CD of those excerpts, and also generous text tips throughout the book); Orchester Probespiel: Harfe

Thank you that’s very helpful, I have just got myself a new harp teacher and will talk to her about it this week. I was also wondering what qualifications I might need to be able to be a orchestral harpist? Do I need to get to grade 8 or do I need more other qualifications?

Tacye
    Participant

Sophia,
    I started being able to tackle harp parts in youth orchestras around grade 7 and became comfortable in amateur/semi pro orchestras over the several years after I took grade 8.

Thank you Tacye, I see I am a long way off to being able to play in an orchestra! I am currently studying at university but not music. I am working on completing my grades but when I have finished this would it be possible to do a degree in the harp? I did not do music at school but I am thinking of working through the theory grades as well to catch up with that. If only I had known this whilst I was at school! I live in the UK do you know any places where I might be able to do a good degree in harp?

Tacye
    Participant

Some orchestral music will be playable long before that – some parts you could manage now – but there is a big difference between being able to join an orchestra for one particular piece which has a sensible harp part and being able to sign up for all their concerts in the next year before knowing what pieces they will throw at you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies