Is there a "personal message" function?

• Participant
    randal on #222687

I didn’t see one..

Biagio, if you should see this: thank you again for the recommendations for wire harp resources. I yesterday obtained the FHJ compendium of articles and have thoroughly reading.

I’m back at the harp recently, after some transition, a bunch work on other music…(I basically had to choose between cba and harp). The articles have been sn inspiration.

Everyone have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Participant
    randal on #222688

Thoroughly *enjoyed* reading

Participant
    Biagio on #222709

Hi Randal,

You are welcome. As I recall, the articles do not provide any specific guidance on specific harps or how to make them; just the history and principles. There are a limited number of people whom I know currently making them professionally:

In the US – Jay Witcher, James Skeen (Folcharps), Triplett, Argent Fox, Phil Boulding (Magical Strings) and in the past David Kortier

In Europe – William MacDonald, Ardival Harps, Eriu Harps, Tim DesRoches; more are listed at the historical harp society: http://www.irishharp.org/links.htm

Possibly a few others. Some of these are made in the traditional way, others use modern glues and 4-part box construction. Some are narrow spaced, some actually meant for steel strings.

More design information can be found in the Yahoo Harpmakers forum archives. In truth any experienced harp maker could design and build one and in some ways they are to make easier than larger nylon or gut harps: the board is often not tapered, no bridge pins (usually).

The main “issues” I encountered were sourcing metal strings especially silver and locating custom string shoes (if one is not content with home made wire ones and wants the back closed). The latter are expensive, so at least one person used 1/4″ ID bronze bushings.

One easy way would be to buy the Musicmakers Limerick kit but place tuning pegs where bridge pins would normally go, lower the range four steps to a bass G and use brass or bronze instead of steel strings. You could also use a hardwood board instead of the supplied laminate one, after modifying the box and pillar foot a little.

Best wishes,
    Biagio

Participant
    randal on #222715

Hi Biagio –

I’m looking for a 30-string (or clise) with narrower spacing. My 30-string is a Triplett, with wide spacing – it has good volume, but I prefer narrower spacing.

William Macdonald currently has a harp available, but it’s a 22-str.

James Skeen builds a 26-str, with narrow spacing, but I have a 25-string Triplett.

Do you by chance know how long the wait list is for a Witcher?

Participant
    Biagio on #222756

Sorry Randal, afraid not; probably “awhile'” If you want it fairly soon I’d suggest the Ardival Kinnellan:

http://www.ardival.com/index.asp?pageid=200846

James’ narrow spaced 26 is a very nice harp (we collaborated on the design, so I know something about it) and a friend recently got one. Ann Heymann gave it a thumbs up – my friend is studying with her. James keeps his templates and might be persuaded to make a 30 string version.

Once in a blue moon a Caswell Gwydion turns up on the used market. That’s “modified spacing” (Chris’ description) – about 12-13mm. Gorgeous harp but BIG and some of the bass are wound. They can be replaced with red brass and half hard silver however.

Good luck!
    Biagio

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Biagio.
    Participant
    randal on #222762

Thx. My large 30-str has that 12mm which I can live with, but the harp is notoriously bad at holding its tuning. My small harp holds its tuning quite well, but lacks volume if course..

On another matter, can you recommend a detergent or disinfectant that can be used liberally on nylon strings?

Participant
    randal on #222763

…something other than handsoap/water, like a solution in a convenient can or bottle, that is..

Participant
    Biagio on #222768

I just use Cottonelle(r) wipes on nylon strings – about $6 in most grocery stores and they come in a box. Flushable too.

Participant
    randal on #222804

Thx

Participant
    wil-weten on #222818

Hi Randal, I read that you are looking for a wire harp.

My friend Harriet (‘Harpjet’ has a Gealach built my MacDonald for sale. She has asked me to mention this in this forum.

You may like to have a look at:
    https://youtu.be/C98gCKAxA7g

She’s not a member of this forum, but she is a member of the Facebook wireharp group.

If interested, you may like to contact her at harpjet at gmail dot com.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by wil-weten.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by wil-weten. Reason: Still don't understand how to embed a video
    Participant
    randal on #222855

Thank you so much for the info. Those harps are most beautiful, but, alas, slightly outside of my budget.

Randal

Participant
    Biagio on #222859

Well, if you have access to a workshop they are, as I said, not hard to make. There is plenty of information out there. Check out the resources on http://www.wirestrungharp.com/ and the Harpmakers Yahoo forum.

Deciding on the strings is the most time consuming but I have several designs saved; my own and those of Chris Caswell, and Karen Loomis’ Flockhart Lamont. You would have to determine whether you want it tuned na cawlee, if so in what key and what the 30th string would be – often D if tuned to Gmaj. Karen’s is for Cmaj. Both James and I use 11mm spacing but it is really up to you and your drafting table LOL.

Biagio

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.