harpcolumn

iPad for harpists

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories iPad for harpists

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    David Ice
    Participant

I know this is an older thread, but I’m about to make the jump to an iPad 3 for gigs.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

It’s pretty bad, I have to say. It’s not just the washout but the reflections. Unfortunately there’s not a huge difference between the new retina screen and the older versions this way. Personally I would much rather have had a matte low glare screen than the extra pixels, but Apple is all about shiny these days.

This is with the old ipad, but the new one isn’t a lot better. Here I was inside a fairly dim room and you’re just seeing the reflections from the sliding glass door behind me:

So I’d say what you’re going to have watch out for is when you’re in shade but the building behind you is catching the sun higher up, things like that.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Doesn’t anyone make a glare shielding transparent “skin” for the iPad? If not, someone should.

I remember when the original iPad came out, one of the eBook competitors made a big deal of their non-glare screen.

Apple should have caught up with that by now.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, they do, but there are two problems:

1. It makes the washing out in bright light even worse.

2. When I tried them on the ipad it ran much hotter. This wasn’t a problem with my old ipod touches, but evidently the screen plays an important role in heat dissipation for the ipad and I’d hesitate to use a screen protector, especially on the new iPad which runs hotter anyway because of the retina screen and the power it takes to run that.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I remember when the original iPad came out, one of the eBook competitors made a big deal of their non-glare screen.

Apple should have caught up with that by now.

I agree, but also find it ironic that amazon, who had such a valid point in their ads, now is pushing the Kindle Fire which is just as bad as the ipad in this respect.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies