harpcolumn

importance of bringing your own bench

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp importance of bringing your own bench

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

This week, I decided to leave my harp and bench at home and use the university’s equipment for a short piece at the end of a recital. The elevators weren’t working, so a student informed me that she would leave a harp in a certain room on the same floor as the recital hall. The harp was not where it was purported to be, but when I did find it in a different room, the bench did not appear to be there. Having used up most of my tuning and warm-up time looking for the harp, and then replacing a broken string, I decided to try using a piano bench which was backstage. It was a bit too low, but I thought it would do. However, since there was already another piano bench onstage, I decided to use that one for the performance. Here’s where the cautionary tale comes in: it was not as high as the other bench, and was already as high as it would go. As I sat down, accelerating through where I usually sit, I knew this was going to be a very long 3 minutes. My abs were working hard just to keep me upright, and the pedal changes were an adventure. Let’s just say it was the most cautious performance I have played in a long time. Moral: always bring your own bench or be very sure that an adjustable, harpist-friendly chair will be there for you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.