Ideas on beautiful harp solos for juries

Posted In: Young Harpists

• Keymaster
    HBrock25 on #165709

Hello all,

I am currently minoring in music at college and I am trying to think about what would be some beautiful pieces to play for juries in a few months. Last year I played Impromptu Caprice by Gabriel Faure and Feerie by Marcel Tournier. I absolutely loved both these pieces and was hoping to get suggestions for another drop-dead gorgeous solo!

The only harpist on the juries is my harp teacher, so the piece doesn’t have to be insanely difficult. I would like something that sounds semi-advanced and very pretty since I will have to be working at it for a while, like Song in The Night by Carlos Salzedo which was unfortunately played last year by the other harpist. If anyone knows something with a modal sound to it, that would be even better.

Thanks again for any help provided!

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #165710

You would probably like to do some Tournier Noels or one of his easy Images.

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #165711

Saul, which of the Noels are “hard enough” for a jury?

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #165712

I can’t answer that. What is the context? What year, what level, what program, what school, what expectations? Playing musically is always important, and showing progress. One should probably have a short, fast display piece and something longer and more complicated for a jury.

Participant
    Elizabeth Volpé Bligh on #165713

Autumn Wind in the Trees by Sue Rothstein (from Dream Studies) is lovely and not too difficult. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqze7S-MZSI is the video.
    Songs of Nymphs by Marjan Mozetich is drop-dead gorgeous. There are four movements, but there are some sections that are very difficult.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.