I need the perfect exercise book!

Posted In: Young Harpists

• Participant
    S M on #167379

I recently ordered several books from Sylvia Woods’ site.

Participant
    carl-swanson on #167380

Are you working with a teacher??

Participant
    S M on #167381

I have an informal “teacher” (a girl who plays harp as a career [not strictly a professional, but SHE has a teacher] instructs me occasionally), but she has health problems and hasn’t been able to meet lately.

I’m hoping to get a “real” teacher soon; before I get a pedal harp, don’t worry. : )

Participant
    alexander-rider on #167382

you can’t go wrong with Grossi’s metodo par arpa, they have lovely simple, useful exercises which are mainly suitable for lever harp, as they are mainly just ion the one key. but they do get progressively more difficult. just start from the very beginning, with the very first exercise and see how you do. good luck finding a teacher,

Participant
    S M on #167383

Thanks! Where can I buy it?

Yes, she probably can; I’m looking into that too.

Participant
    alexander-rider on #167384

i suppose in the states you could get it from vanderbilt music or lyra music or even sylvia woods…all have websites.

Participant
    S M on #167385

Okay, thanks!

Participant
    lionel-vargas on #167386

I’ve studied Grossi’s Method for Harp and it was great. I just recently bought Universal Method for Harp by Bochsa-Oburthuer and it’s beyond excellent and covers theory, many technical studies, and other information you can’t live without. I love it. If you choose to buy this book start from the beginning and take your time on the exercises from beginning to end. Once you have the beginning exercises well practiced, speed and agility will start to pick up and you can move on to the next exercises. You’ll be able to develop great technique.
    -Lionel

Participant
    S M on #167387

Thanks once again!

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #167388

If you have a lever harp, other good exercises/etudes are leDentu’s Douze etudes et un
    theme varie by Naderman, the easy Damase etudes (10 etudes faciles et progressives) and
    the Pozzoli etudes (not all the pieces in this book work, but about 80% of them do.)

I have used the Friou and the Holy with my students, but in both cases if they are the kind
    of student who will do exercises and etudes, they run out pretty quickly.

Participant
    unknown-user on #167389

What you need is a real teacher. That’s the only way to learn. You won’t get it from exercise books alone, no matter how good. Find a well-trained teacher and take weekly lessons for at least a few years. If you really want to play, then make the commitment.

Participant
    S M on #167390

What exactly should I look for in a teacher?

Participant
    alexander-rider on #167391

someone who is willing to work thouroughly on your personal needs, listens and communicates well; who would be ytour friend and you teacher. credentials are lovely, interesting and to an extent, quite necessary. but if they play the harp well and can communicate well, patiently and concisely what you should do, then they are the one for you. a teacher who inspires you, gives you confidence and is not given to verbally bashing anybody (least of all you!) ,or so-called “politics”, will make you a well- rounded harpist and a pleasant musician to work with.good luck. Alex

Participant
    S M on #167392

The reason I asked about certification is because I don’t know if I would be able to tell whether they could play the harp “well”, but I guess if they’re known as a “teacher”, that would be enough! : )

Thanks!

Participant
    katherine-willow on #167393

i would suggest pazzoli’s studies of medium difficulty. (pozzoli? pazzoli? not sure on the spelling.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.