harpcolumn

I love the sound of the harp, but will a beginner’s harp still sound lovely?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories I love the sound of the harp, but will a beginner’s harp still sound lovely?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    bella-bella
    Participant

Thank you. They sound really good. I’m not far from the channel tunnel, but it would still take longer than if I went to the shop in Wales. Well, it’s my first harp, so I suppose I should settle for one near by. The Lyon & Healy ones do sound nice. It would be better to get one second hand, but they don’t really lose their value do they?

Bella, have you seen my response no. 13? I’ve posted my message just one minute before yours, so maybe you have missed it.

When you look at

bella-bella
    Participant

Sorry, you’re right I never saw your post. Thank you for taking the time to point it out! It was really helpful.

You have helped me a lot. It would be good to go for the Troubadour for the sake of it’s size. Then when I move to a pedal harp, I could keep the Troubadour as a small harp- however, I might want a more celtic-sounding one instead by then.

The Prelude would be a better choice as when I’m more experienced and have saved, I can sell it and buy a pedal.

However, I have a Toyota Aygo, and after looking at the Prelude dimensions and the Aygo’s it seems I wouldn’t be able to fit it 🙁 lol

deb-l
    Participant

hi Bella, the Troubadour (66 inches 166cm) is taller than the Prelude, (65 inches 163cm).

bella-bella
    Participant

Lol I’m awful with numbers and get them mixed up. You’re right the Prelude is shorter. Thank you for checking it.

Well, I would need to pick it up from the shop and if I ever get a job where I need to rent away from home, I would hate to not bring it with me.

I found out that I can fold the back seats down though, so I’ll measure it tomorrow.

I would love to look at lots of different harps and rent, but I have just graduated and am searching for jobs. My current job is voluntary, so I have no income- just savings. Because of this, I am trying to avoid lots of travelling and when I get a job, I will save up until I can afford a pedal harp (and to go looking for one :D). A trip to Wales is very appealing though!

As for the type of music. Well, pop, classic and celtic- more classic than celtic though.

deb-l
    Participant

hi Bella, if you don’t have a passenger maybe you can fold the front
    passengers seat back and angle the harp.

bella-bella
    Participant

Thank you for your reply!

You’re right about the passenger seat. I might be taking my teacher with me though. However, when it stops raining I will go and measure my car lol. I will get the train to London to look at it and if I like it, I’ll return with my car.

I really can’t wait. I’m obsessed and can’t stop thinking about getting a harp lol.

Thank you, I will let you know when I get one. I’m determined to buy one one this week 😀

bella-bella
    Participant

I just measured my car. It will fit, but the front seat would have to be folded down for the Prelude 40, which would mean my teacher wouldn’t be able to go with me.

I will go by train to have a look at it and was planning to go with here a couple of days later to buy a harp.

Do you think I should buy it without her? It has good reviews, but it will be my first harp and I wasn’t sure if if I should.

deb-l
    Participant

hi Bella, if it’s important to you that your teacher go with you, why not go with her, put a deposit on it and return alone with your front seat back in your car?

karen
    Participant

You could see if HarpsInternational has a site near your home and go try a few. They have a rent to own program and also do payments (I believe). If you are really partial to a ‘big sounding’ harp and like the gut strings more than the nylon (as you mentioned), you might want to look into a Pratt Chamber Harp which Harps International does have. Good luck and so exciting!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.