harpcolumn

I know it’s coming . . .

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break I know it’s coming . . .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

. . . and I want to know how to avoid it!

unknown-user
    Participant

My pedal harp used to pop strings quite often, it was in the living room near the front door. So even though our windows were closed it was apparently getting temperature changes from the door alone. I moved my harp into my bedroom, I keep the door closed and don’t open the window anymore. The rest of the house has a nice breeze when we open up the windows but my room will stay nice and at an even temperature all seasons. My advice would be to pick a “harp room” and try and keep it as stable as possible. I hope that helped, God Bless!

— Natalie

Elizabeth L
    Participant

If you don’t play with any other musicians and you don’t have perfect pitch, you could flatten your strings a little.

kent-vogel
    Participant

I would recommend that you back down the tension a little for the top maybe four octaves when you are done playing for the evening., maybe a third of a turn. It is very disconcerting (please pardon the pun) to hear strings pop in the night! Maybe there could be a piece written Titled, “Pop in the Night!”

Katherine Denler
    Participant

I really like your reply!

Another suggestion could be to keep the thickest covers you have (blue mitten cover…) on at night when the temperature drops. This could hopefully prevent some breakage.

kay-lister

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.