harpcolumn

Hungarian Rhapsody No.2 by Liszt

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Hungarian Rhapsody No.2 by Liszt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

I am playing this piece in orchestra and wonder if there are any suggestions for the fast parts–like fingerings?

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

Well, as there are no replies, maybe a specific question could get things going.

Sylvia Clark

I’m not familiar with the part, but sometimes small notes are just doubling the winds or another part of the orchestra.

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

The 32nd notes are marked piano (maybe even pianissimo if I recall correctly).

Hi Sidney,

I’ve played this piece 2 or 3 times and there’s nothing to worry about; just concentrate on listening to the other instruments. As I recall, the 32nd notes are more for effect. I tend to think in chords – measures 43-44: G, G, G, C/G, G, G7, Eb/G, G, etc.

At measure 150 (33 after the Vivace in 2/4), I play the bottom C’s with the left hand and the top two notes (Bb, E natural, Ab, F, etc.) in the right.

Again, with the 16th notes on page 3, 25 measures after the piu mosso, think in chords (C, C, F, F, etc.) I imagine you could leave out the 16th’s on beats 2 & 4; experiment and see what falls naturally in your fingers. For security’s sake, you could put the B-pedal in sharp position and put it back to Bb at the end of the page during the 31 measure rest.

On the last page, 17 measures after the piu mosso, you could probably leave out the bass line and play the E’s and F’s of the 2nd beats with your left hand. You might check a score to make sure those lower notes are covered, or you can probably tell by the recording.

Also, I slightly roll any chords throughout. Your adrenaline will kick in; it’s a fun piece to play…just think about Bugs Bunny!

Julie in Atlanta

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

Julie,

Thank you for your advise on this piece.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies