harpcolumn

Humidity

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Humidity

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    goatberryfarm2010
    Participant

I’ll be getting a Lorraine from Stoney End, this Summer & I live in the high mtn desert of NE Nevada.
    We use a swamp cooler in the Summer & keep a humidifier going, in our bedroom, all the time, Summer & Winter.
    We use a pellet stove for heat & there’s no way to put a kettle on it, as we did with our wood stove.
    I’ll keep my harp, most likely, in the living room, but that exposes it to changes in temperature & humidity. Suggestions?

harpist123
    Participant

I live in Colorado where the humidity is often in the single digits or teens (inside my home), even when it’s high outside due to rain or snow. I heat with a wood fireplace, and have radiant in-floor heat. Our home has high vaulted ceilings and is of log construction. It is impossible to humidify this open space, and the only closed-off rooms we have are our bathrooms!!! All that said, I place a wet washcloth inside a quart freezer bag, leaving the top open, and place it inside at the bottom of each harp (while playing it or not). That’s it!!! I have a concert grand pedal harp and 2 lever harps, as well as a very small lap harp. Have never had a problem. I re-wet the cloth once a week, as it doesn’t dry out sooner. When I do wet it, I squeeze it so it doesn’t drip, but not completely squeezed out. Freezer zips are more durable than just a sandwich bag. Okay, I’ll bet all you humidity aficionados are just CRINGING at what I do 🙂 But my harps haven’t cracked. Of course it could have a lot to do with how they are built. But honestly, you couldn’t put them through much worse when it comes to lack of humidity. The pedal harp is 10 years old, one lever harp is 11 years old, and the other 2 harps were built in Utah (also an arid state geographically, so already somewhat acclimated when built). Harps are built to “stretch”. They are put into different climates simply by traveling with them. Best of luck to you!

goatberryfarm2010
    Participant

Thank you, harpist123!
    I’ll give it a try.

karen
    Participant

I would spend $12-ish on a hygrometer so you know what you are shooting for each day for humidity. Ideally 40-60%.
    There are small dehumidifiers and humidifiers to fit the bill.
    You can also buy a “Damp It’ hose to have hang inside of your harp (they are made for harps, stand up bass, etc.)
    The experts say humidity is more critical than temperature, though evenness in both is ideal.

karen
    Participant

Here is the hygrometer that I have. It is now $8.50.
    My husband works for a company that is known (internationally) for their measurements, accuracy, etc. He took this in to work to see if it was accurate next to their expensive equipment, and it was extremely accurate.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics