harpcolumn

How to train the thumb joint

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play How to train the thumb joint

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    janice-zwilling–2
    Participant

I’m taking lessons from a professional harpist and there is an issue with my technique that has her and her colleagues befuddled. Anyone ever experience issues with getting the large thumb joint (closest to the base of the hand) to extend outward in order to fully articulate the fingers into the palm? Without this happening, it is more difficult to keep the “C” shape between 1 and 2 and the inside fleshy part of the hand out of the way when the fingers return to the palm. We have tried all kinds of exercises from Salzedo to Kondonassis to no avail. I’ve researched and can’t find anything that specifically addresses this. Anyone have any ideas? Could it be possible that, due to physiology, it might not even be possible? Even with my hand in position on the strings, if I try to push the joint out using a pencil end against the interior side of the joint, it just won’t budge. However, I can get the joint to extend out if I overly bend the top joint which isn’t the least bit condusive to playing the thumb against the string. There must be some secret.

If you relax your hand completely, that is where the thumb joint should be. As long as you are not letting the thumb collapse into the space between it and your other fingers, it should work fine. I am curious to see what this problem is. I have had a couple of students whose thumbs were prone to collapsing into the palm, but they were able to solve the problem by relaxing between every note. Try that and let me know if it helps. I would not try to extend it beyond where it normally sits when at rest. In fact, that could possibly be injurious.

Hi Janice:

This is a question that is dear to my heart, as my thumb joint (the one you described) is a classic “double joint” that does not lend itself to an ideal harp technique position. I’m not sure from your description exactly what your thumb issue is (can you post a photo?) but I will say that from both a playing and teaching standpoint, I believe you have to somewhat accept your hand’s natural position and deal with it. Some hands (mine!) just don’t conform to an ideal standard. You and your teacher need to carefully examine if your issue is simply a matter of strengthening a weak muscle, or if as you described, there is a physiological limitation that will never be corrected, in which case you just have to cope.

I do firmly believe that the most important thing, especially if you have a weak position, is to maintain a high thumb. If you can also have a straight thumb with the ideal “C” shape in place, that is ideal. But if you can’t keep it straight, or keep the “C”, then at least be sure to keep it high, as that will allow you to execute good cross-unders and overs.

That’s my two cents!

Kim

Tacye
    Participant

I find it very useful to work with beginning hand position away from the harp – it takes away any anxiety and urgency of notes. My hand position may well be different to your teachers, but go into the kitchen and grab an empty water bottle, or similar with your fingers round it and your thumb pointing more or less to the lid, a bit of an angle towards your fingers is good. Hold your arm out in harp playing position so the mouth of the bottle is pointing vaguely over your shoulder and your hand will be in a starting approximation to harp playing position.

janice-zwilling–2
    Participant

My hand position seems to be correct as I place on the strings and I do keep the thumb position high. I’ll try to post a picture of what I am talking about. I’m sure my teacher won’t mind being a hand model for the correct joint position. If I can show it contrasted with my own then perhaps I can better demonstrate the issue. Stay tuned as my next lesson isn’t for two more weeks.

marta-cook
    Participant

The pics would definitely help! In recent years I’ve stopped thinking of the ideal thumb position as “high” and started thinking of it as a natural position for the thumb that occurs when the wrist is neutral and not bent as in the attached pic. The video link will explain what I mean a little further. (Incidentally neutral wrist position can look very different on different bodies, and of course as Kim points out thumbs vary quite a lot as well…) Not sure if this is relevant to your particular situation (or the same in all technical approaches) but will check back for pics 🙂

http://youtu.be/tguRvrtlVoM?t=10m50s

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies