column

How to Hold a Dusty Strings FH36H

Home Forums How To Play How to Hold a Dusty Strings FH36H

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    harp-lady
    Participant

I’ve been test-driving a Dusty Strings FH36H and I LOVE the sound, but I find holding the instrument to be very awkward. The boxed soundboard digs into my knees/legs at a funny angle and the part of the neck that juts out sticks into my neck. My fiance tried it out and he has no problem holding it and finds it very comfortable. I’m somewhat petite so I’m wondering – is this harp shape wrong for my body type or is there a special way to hold it so that it’s comfortable. Any thoughts/suggestions?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

It sounds like you may be sitting too low and too close to the harp. If the sound box is digging into your knees, something is awry.

But definitely for many people the 36S is more comfortable than the 36H.

susan-rutherford
    Participant

HL – I found this video to be helpful in checking my position at the harp. Of course, the best option would be to have a teacher work with you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyXNIuD1un8

harp-lady
    Participant

Thanks for the info! I’m used to a pedal harp so playing a smaller harp is a big – and fun – change! 🙂

harp-lady
    Participant

I found the 36S to be a lot more comfortable as well but I liked the sound of the 36H better. It’s like a beautiful, clear bell!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, but I’ll tell you what Ray Mooers said to me about that when I said something similar. He said that one reason pedal harpists tend to like the sound of the flat back is that the sound envelope is more around the player, like what we’re used to with the pedal harp, while with the stave back it’s further out in front of the instrument so when you’re playing one it doesn’t seem as full-sounding, and you should listen to someone else playing them to decide on which you prefer.

harp-lady
    Participant

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you for that tid bit. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.