harpcolumn

How much playing is too much for the harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories How much playing is too much for the harp?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    eliza-morrison
    Participant

Does anyone have any thoughts about how much use is optimal for a harp–assuming a moderate to tough repertoire done in daily practice, lots of pedals? I am sure a harp can be used too much or too little, but does anyone want to toss out ideas about how much is too much, how much is too little? To keep the harp (not necessarily the harpist) in top form.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Great question!

tony-morosco
    Participant

Well, I’m to tech or mechanical expert when it comes to harps. Hopefully one of the experts here like Carl will chime in. But…

I honestly don’t think that there is too much or too little playing that you can do. I think what the issue would be is too little maintenance for the amount of playing you are doing.

If you get a harp regulated and checked out enough based on your playing habits, you should be able to play it for a lifetime.

Just understand, moving parts wear out. The more you

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Thanks, Tony, for the good thoughts. Yes, I agree with all of your suggestions, (though I don’t replace my bass wires as often as is recommended, mostly because I hate that “metallic” sound they have when they are new). I would add not moving the instrument roughly to the list! I guess the question underneath my question is, is playing the harp good for the harp? (It almost sounds like an existential question!) I assume it is beneficial for an instrument to be played, despite obvious issues of wear and tear, etc.

Dessye Dee Clark
    Participant

what I have been told:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.