column

How many strings normally break?

Home Forums Harps and Accessories How many strings normally break?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    lauren-d
    Participant

Do you all find that a string breaking is a fairly normal occurrence? I’ve been renting a troubadour VI that was fresh out of the factory for the past 9 months and in that time it has broken I’m guessing anywhere from 7-10 strings. Sometimes there’s months where one doesn’t break, sometimes a few break in a short time span. Normal?

deb-l
    Participant

how many strings break depend on a number of things. With a new Troub or Prelude it’s a good idea to keep of record of which strings are breaking on what date and whether it’s at the eyelet or the lever. If you see the same strings breaking in the same places the place your renting from can change or regulate the lever or possibly sand an eyelet. It’s not a big deal for them to change a lever, or two, not uncommon, but don’t try it yourself if your renting. Also weather can have an influence such as high humidity or just before a storm.

susan-ash
    Participant

I recently had this problem, after I moved my harp to a different area of the home.

Rachel Redman
    Participant

or possibly sand an eyelet…

How does that work? Would I simply do that with a plain-old piece of sandpaper from the toolbox? I’m assuming that files the “sharp” edges of an eyelet.

I have the same problem with my strings, as I have a Troub VI. Mine always break at the eyelets.

Tacye
    Participant

When a string breaks at the eyelet I take the old string (gut) and pull it back and forth over the top lip of the eyelet to gently smooth the eyelet down.

lauren-d
    Participant

So what you guys are saying is its not normal to have so many strings break?
    I’ve never had a string break by the lever, except once it broke slightly above the lever. They all break at the soundboard, and they break in a variety of octaves and notes. A while back L&H send the man I rent from Lou a sort of ‘sand cord’ it’s just sandpaper in the likeness of a string and he has sanded out a few eyelets. I wouldn’t recommend taking a square of sandpaper and trying to get in the tiny hole with it..

I was just wondering if this is normal to have so many break. Do all harpists deal with strings breaking so often? Since I’m renting, the strings are paid for, but when I own a harp I can see how all these breaks would start to get expensive month after month, year after year..

diana-day
    Participant

I had a harp that was breaking strings at the same eyelet and Atlanta Harp Center sent me an abrasive cord that took care of the problem. On the package it says it removes “burrs from eyelets, bridge pins and tuning pin holes”.

kay-lister

Lauren,

I only have one or two break on my lever harp (Thormahlen Swan) in a year, and that is usually in the fall with the seasonal change in weather.

Tacye
    Participant

About a string a month wouldn’t distress me much in a new pedal-tension
    gut harp; it should settle down next year, if kept in stable temperature
    and humidity.

lauren-d
    Participant

Thank you everyone! This harp community is so valuable. I hope to see it calm down soon as it adjusts and settles.

Rachel Redman
    Participant

Sorry for the ignorant question…You mentioned rubbing a gut string back and forth on the eyelet. I have wire and nylon; would that work as well as your gut string method?

Tacye
    Participant

Don’t pull wound strings back and forth – it would be very hard on the eyelets.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.