harpcolumn

how long to learn music and then some

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp how long to learn music and then some

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Becky,

Yes, well, maybe I need to be far more entertaining..tap dance and sing show tunes while I give lessons?….do a trapeze act from the art deco light fitting?

Any suggestions appreciated!

unknown-user
    Participant

Diane, I agree with you. There’s so much of teaching that is merely “slogging it out”, endlessly going over the same concepts, correcting technique, assigning sight reading… I think there are many teachers who are unwilling to do this–which is fine.

Between us all perhaps we can fit all the different types of students who come to us. I don’t teach advanced piano students, though I studied advanced classical piano. Instead, I focus my efforts on forming solid beginning and early intermediate students, prefering to let them move to another teacher when they reach that place.

And so many students are, as you described, just about mediocre. I went through years of disillusionment before I could face that truth. Out of my nearly 30 students I have only

Curly,

In a brilliant flash of genius, the answer has come to me. Raise his lesson fee to some hideous amount. He will either quit or begin working……either way it will benefit you.

Briggsie Iggsie

unknown-user
    Participant

Hey Briggs,

Naughty! He has already tried to give me extra money in his last lesson, and on others just not paid me at all….so he is a scatter brained flibberty jibbet…

I kind of like him, he’s

unknown-user
    Participant

This thread has been of great interest to me, because at the moment

carl-swanson
    Participant

Cynthia- Don’t ever be afraid to withdraw a piece if it is causing you too much difficulty. As a teacher, I have found myself occasionally assigning a piece to a student that I thought would work and that I thought they were up to. But then I’d decide,after 3 or 4 lessons on it, that it wasn’t going the way I thought it would and I will withdraw it. I see no point in having a student work for an inordinate amount of time on a piece that they are clearly having problems with.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics