harpcolumn

how cold is too cold?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break how cold is too cold?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jessica A
    Participant

When playing outside, how cold can it be without the wood being damaged, like cracks in the soundboard?

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I’m not sure.

deb-l
    Participant

Jessica I think your referring to my question under harps and accessories, asking about just carrying a harp from house to car.

It’ll be too cold to comfortably play outside before you have damage to your harp (been there, done that).

deb-l
    Participant

Jen, thanks so much for your response.

FWIW, my musical partner takes her Troub out in all sorts of weather and she just has the canvas dust cover.

deb-l
    Participant

I have a large sedan.

Ann

Many of these comments focus on getting between car and building. I don’t worry too much about that, because both car and building will be warm. The brief journey won’t cool the harp enough to change wood or strings.

As to playing outside, my general rule is, if I’m comfortable, the harp will be OK. You must keep the harp out of direct sun, as sunshine really heats up an instrument, affecting both wood and strings. Your concern will be not just wood, but strings, especially if you have wound brass bass strings. They contract mightly in cold temperatures, which is your main risk for cracking a soundboard.

Sylvia
    Participant

I’m glad

My Minnesota experience was that it is the veneer that will crack along the center strip the first time you take it out in below-zero weather. Back then, in the 1970s, my teacher said it was okay, unavoidable, and it would actually loosen up the wood so the sound would start to develop sooner.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies