Help! Trills in the Salzedo Variations?

• Participant
    laura-palmieri on #149388

I for the life of me cannot get this darn trill movement. My problem is I can’t get each trill amount to be equal. Either I play too many or too little. I have tried playing it slowly and it doesn’t work. I use the meternome and it doesn’t work. I try little mental things like counting 1,2,3,4,5,6 for each little trill set if you know what I mean. My teacher has helped me a lot with it too, but I still can’t get them right. Any advice on what helped you would be wonderful!!!

Participant
    unknown-user on #149389

Try this:

Practice slightly below tempo. Feel a pulse that is twice the normal beat (I don’t have the music in front of me and I don’t know what the time sig is off the top of my head… e.g. if the beat is quaters, count eigths) If you want, put a metronome on that. Now when playing, play each hand together (e.g if the trill is on C and B, play C and B together with the right hand, then CB with the left, etc.) Eventually move up to tempo. Once you have internatlized the number of trill sets (so that you’re not counting but feeling the number) you can start actually trilling.

I hope that works, but I can’t say that it has worked for me – I don’t have this problem so haven’t needed to think of an exercise.

~Sam

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #149390

I always have to practice it with the metronome. For it to be completely rhythmic, as it must be, you must practice it, four groups to each half-note. In addition to practicing it slowly, I would also practice it fast but in a slow tempo with space between each set. 2121

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.