Help needed in chioce of music!

Posted In: Young Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #168319

Hello everyone.

Participant
    unknown-user on #168320

Hi Carolyn,

You can try to find the information about audition pieces for music school in Japan. Usually there is a list for each level and that could be an easy guideline to look at. Or, you can try to get the list of American Harp Society competition. There are different levels to choose and you can also have the idea what kind of music harp students are playing here in US. If you can provide the titles of the music that you have worked, we can probably come up with some kind of list for you to check with your local music store.

Participant
    Tacye on #168321

If you can get hold of a copy of the ABRSM exam syllabus (ubiquitous in the UK- nearly every player, of any instrument takes these) or the equivalent for the Trinity School of Music or Guildhall- they contain lists of pieces graded by difficulty.

Keymaster
    kimberly-rowe on #168322

Carolyn:

Some good pieces for your level are:

Haydn Theme and Variations, arranged by Salzedo, Handel Pasicagllia, Handel Theme and Variations, songs found in “Solos for the Harp player” edited by Lucile Lawrence (good ones are the “First Arabesque” by Debussy and the “Giga” by Correlli)

To find out what the most advanced players of your age group are learning, join the American Harp Society and look at what the required pieces are for their competitions. That will give you a good idea of what you should be striving for.

Hope this helps…anyone else?

Participant
    unknown-user on #168323

Hi! I got online tonight to ask the same question. I’ve been playing for 3 years (after 4 of piano) and I’m 16. I just played 2 wonderful pieces, though I don’t really know your level. Le Petite Suite Classique by Grandjany, and Presque Rien by Tedeschi. The pieces I will be working on next, if no one else gives me suggestions, are the Passacaille mentioned above and the Dusik Sonatinas. My dream piece is Impromptu Caprice by Pierne, but I’m not yet at that level. La Source by Hasselmans is also on my list, but my teacher thinks it’s also too hard.
    You can probable get these pieces from http://www.vanderbiltmusic.com or Lyon & Healy (their website is probably http://www.lyonhealy.com)
    Also, look into some etudes. I like the Universal Method for the Harp by Bochsa-Oberthuer and Pozzoli’s Studi Di Media Difficolta.
    Much luck!
    Rafaella

Participant
    unknown-user on #168324

For a nice selection of what is generally intermediate level harp music, you might send for a catalog of arrangements done by Daniel Burton through Jubal Press, Box 144, La Mesa, CA 91944.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.