hello new to group

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    deb-l on #158915

hi, I’ve played harp on and off for 5 years.

Participant
    deb-l on #158916

sorry meant C is lowest string not G.

Participant
    jessica-wolff on #158917

Yes, you can, if they are actually songs, as in Irish folk songs. You will just need to simplify the arrangement, maybe change the key.

Participant
    deb-l on #158918

yes that makes sense I guess, I have concerns though about having only a small harp and playing the full arrangements I used to play, I may be dissatisfied with it.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #158919

Do bear in mind that wire harp is played radically differently from lever harp.

Participant
    deb-l on #158920

that looks like a great book, thank you! does it have arrangements for larger harps or small though?

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #158921

Levers will dampen the tone, somewhat, yes…how much depends on the levers and the harp, but they will make a difference…and a more noticeable one on wire than on nylon.

Participant
    deb-l on #158922

Audrey, thanks so much for all the great info and help!

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #158923

The nice thing is, you don’t need HUGE fingernails.

Participant
    Karen Johns on #158924

I have a small wire harp, specifically a 26 string Limerick, and I play it exactly the same way as my larger lever harp. Changing the technique you have already learned is not necessary unless you are set on playing wire harp in the traditional manner.

Participant
    Asha the Nagini on #158925

Welcome!

Participant
    deb-l on #158926

Audrey, I will pick up Sally Hanson nail mender.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #158927

I really, really, strongly recommend you learn proper wire technique…if you want to sound like Cynthia Cathcart, Chris Caswell or Patrick Bell, it’s essential.

Participant
    deb-l on #158928

now your reminding me of the reason I always end up picking nylon/gut harps when I rent, because wire sound complicated and unrelaxed.

Participant
    Karen Johns on #158929

Let’s just make a small distinction here- about “proper” wire technique. By whose definition? The ancient bards of Ireland? Since they are not with us, I would refer to the fact there are three methods to play wire harp- the classical harp method, the coupled hands or Heymann method, and the traditional Cathcart/Caswell/Bell(?)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.