harpcolumn

Has anyone performed the Saint-Saens Oratorio de Noel??

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Has anyone performed the Saint-Saens Oratorio de Noel??

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    elena-k-pohl
    Participant

Any advice/suggestions/personal experience stories are welcome!!

Thanks…

David Ice
    Participant

Do a search about this piece in the archives…..there have been past postings about this.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, it’s the trio. Lots to do there, for sure.

phyllis-adams
    Participant

It’s a great piece – gorgeous music. Goes like a bat out of *#ll, so you really need to have the part memorized as there is virtually no time to think. Even the chords in the duo go quite quickly! And as David mentioned, a page tuner is mandatory if you cannot make an effective cut & paste part. Good luck – it IS worth the effort!

elena-k-pohl
    Participant

Thank you for everyone’s helpful replies!!

It’s very tricky rhythmically, as you don’t play the downbeats. If you can memorize it, it will help. The page turns are murder.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

This is one of my favorite pieces to play, and I especially love the trio. It is so beautiful!! I had more difficulty with the duet, as conductors sometimes take it at a really brisk tempo and your hands have to jump so much. My best advice (and I realize the Christmas holidays and your gig are over now) would be to be prepared to play it faster than is indicated; work very hard to get it fast so that it doesn’t want to fall apart if you get one of these super-fast tempo conductors. I guess that is good policy generally, but especially in this piece because of all the jumping in the right hand chords.

Sylvia Clark

I played this many years ago and didn’t remember having page turn problems, so I looked to see what I did.

Sylvia Clark

I also enlarged it a bit because I’m not good at reading tiny notes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.