harpcolumn

Harps on Ebay

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Harps on Ebay

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Mullen
    Participant

In the last month I’ve seen two harps listed on ebay for what appear to me to be absurd prices.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I’ve only bought one instrument on ebay, and I bid on it only because I was able to examine it first hand. I’ve never bought a harp at a live auction, but have occasionally gone to an auction where one or more harps were being sold just to see what would happen.

What I’ve noticed in general is that harps in very poor condition tend to go for way more than they are realistically worth. I’m guessing that people who know nothing about harps get caught up in the gold and carving and are unaware of anything else. But what’s interesting is that on those rare occasions that a playable harp in really good condition goes up(I’m talking mainly here about a Lyon & Healy harp) they tend to go for significantly less than their market value. The price that most harps go for at auction, regardless of their condition, is $10,000 to $13,000. That includes the 20% buyers premium.

I’m less familiar with ebay. I understand that Erards come up regularly their and also the occasional L & H or Wurlitzer. In most instances, the Erards are worm eaten wrecks that are unsalvagable, and the L & H and Wurlitzer harps tend to be in need of major restoration. In as-is condition they would be worth maybe $1,000. They tend to go for $4,000 to $10,000. So auctions and ebay are not the places to look for bargains.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

Carl, I wasn’t shopping.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Isn’t Ebay an auction site? Do they have a ‘buy=it-now’ price on the harps? What are they asking? I wouldn’t offer a cent on any instrument I could not examine in person. Photographs simply do not convey the technical information I need to set a price.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

You can follow the links I posted to the auctions themselves.

Brinda Shah
    Participant

There are great harps and accessories on Ebay. Its truly a great site with innumerable products that are offered at best prices.

kay-lister

Sarah,

I’ve seen the harps you are talking about as well on e-bay.

rod-wagoner
    Participant

I get a bigger charge out of looking at Carl’s website …..

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

Thanks guys, but nobody is even taking a swing at the fun part of this post!

gena-mcclure
    Participant

Carl is right. You should never offer to purchase anything sight unseen.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I never even implied that I was considering buying either of these harps.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Sarah- The price, particularly on a harp at auction, is going to be what someone is willing to pay. People often ask me to evaluate an instrument, either because they are the owner and want to sell it, or they are the potential buyer and are thinking of purchasing it. In both cases the people ask me what the instrument is worth. I never give a fixed, single price. Ever. I always say, “It’s worth between X and X.” Between say $10,000 and $12,000 or $13,000. I always explain that, in the end what the instrument is worth is what someone else is willing to pay. I tell a potential seller, “You can ask any price you want. But I can’t promise you’ll find a willing buyer at the price you ask.” I also explain that, the higher the asking price, the smaller the pool of potential buyers. So trying to put a price on any harp on ebay, particularly when I can’t examine it first hand, is almost impossible.

Dwyn .
    Participant

Sarah:

I’ve seen both these listings and the asking prices are indeed absurd.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies