harpcolumn

Harps and neighbors

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Harps and neighbors

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Hannes E. Peregrin
    Participant

I have read a lot of stories about acoustic piano players who lives in
    flats who can’t play their piano because the neighbors are disturbed,
    because the whole house starts acting a little bit like a soundboard…
    the sound of the piano can be heard very load and clear like it is in
    the same room even if it’s on another floor.

Is that the case with the harp as well? I will soon be looking for a new flat to rent and I
    wonder if I have to look for flats with extra strong sound-proofing because of this… I
    don’t want to disturb my neighbors :/ Have someone
    experienced problems like this?

It’s just a small lap harp but it still has a lot of sound, and I’m
    planning to buy a floor harp as well later on.

One can always “mute” the harp sound somewhat, by threading some felt through the strings, down near the soundboard. Lyon and Healy sold these red

That’s 3/4 of an inch, above. Sorry if it was not clear!

tony-morosco
    Participant

Yes, harps can certainly reverberate through an older building.

I have always been fortunate in that when I lived in a flat my building mates always were tolerant to appreciative of my playing. In fact one landlord asked me if I wouldn’t mind opening my window when I practiced so that he could hear better.

Sadly not everyone is so lucky and I have heard stories from some folks of neighbors who liked nothing better than to complain, even when they were only practicing during reasonable daylight hours.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

Somewhere on here is a thread from a few years back about horrible neighbors and the harp

barbara-brundage
    Participant
    Carm Zephyr
    Participant

These neighbors must be CRAZY. Who wouldn’t love to hear a harp anywhere anytime. I would be asking for the window to be left opened too 🙂 Some people are such wet blankets. Such a shame that is.

Seoid OC
    Participant

Sadly there will always be soulless people who don’t like any sound they can’t control… and they should live in houses not apartments!

Hannes E. Peregrin
    Participant

Thanks for all your answers and the link to the other thread! I feel a bit more at ease now. I will try that felt-method (if it’s needed)!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics