harpcolumn

HarpMobile for 2 (or more) passengers

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break HarpMobile for 2 (or more) passengers

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    janna-bisceglia
    Participant

I’m curious if there are any harp mobiles out there besides the Dodge Caravan that fit two passengers along with the harp. Any SUV that can do that? Or a minivan with a better maintenance reputation? I’ll probably be looking at purchasing a vehicle between 5-10 years old.

I have a L&H 85E, so it is a touch smaller than a CG. I currently have a Toyota Matrix which I love, but I will be needing to take more passengers soon. 🙂

Myds
    Participant

I needed to buy a new vehicle this past summer and ended up with a 2014 Subaru Forrester. I had a Salzedo and it fit in without a problem – column behind the driver but it had to go in at an angle. Everything else fit. This fall I drove 2 days to sell the Salzedo (long story). There were two of us, both on the large size, and there was absolutely no problem. We did not have to adjust our seats at all. Hope this helps.

janna-bisceglia
    Participant

Sorry, I probably should have more correctly said 3 or more passengers. I’m expecting now so I’ll be needing a vehicle that can take me, DH, baby and harp if needed!

Tacye
    Participant

It is a pain loading, but if your back seat has a 2:1 split sometimes you can lift the harp in base first, rather than top first and then put the small section of the back seat up again.

Andelin
    Participant

A mini van with two bucket seats for the second row is probably your best bet. You can fit the harp in between the seats (upright, on the column) and still fit up to four people in it. Usually the back seat will fold down into the cargo space so you don’t have to completely remove the seat. I think most mini van makers offer the two separate seat option. We owned a ford freestar and it was fine, as far as mechanics and maintenance.

I drive suburban (with the middle row a 2/3 split. I can fit my prelude by only folding the back seat down, but you would have to remove the back seat and fold down part of the middle seat to fit a pedal harp. It would still carry a harp and 3 people. And probably lots of room for all your other stuff too. Depending on how often you would use the back seat and how often you are moving the harp, you could just leave it out most if the time. One thing to consider with a suburban (or ford explorer, Yukon, etc.) is it is higher off the ground–harder to lift the harp into it. But it is an option, if you don’t want a mini van.

You could try a smaller SUV, such as a ford freestyle. If I remember right, it has 3 rows, with the middle row having two separate bucket seats. You would have to check to make sure it fits. I think the back seat folds, but I don’t know if it stows flat or if you would have to completely remove it. Bring your harp to try loading it before you buy, if you can.

Other than that, you’re probably looking at a full size van. Like 12-15 passenger. Kinda overboard for a family of 3. 🙂

Congrats on the new baby! :). What a wonderful, exciting time for you and your husband.

Victoria
    Participant

What Tacye said. My teacher travels like this all the time with her husband and (teenage) son.

As I have frequently mentioned, I do not suppor column-loading the harp. It needs to lay flat on a springy surface so as not to vibrate. There used to be cars long enough to have the harp behind the back seat. If you load it base first, then you may be able to lay it flat and have one person seated next to the base. I used to fantasize about getting a used hearse, as they are quite long and have a lift, but apparently their mileage is very poor.
    Perhaps you might consider getting a trunk and securing it to the top of the car? I don’t know if anyone has done that. To have four or more passengers and a harp may require a full-size van or small truck, or an enclosed pick-up truck.
    As for column-loading, those of you who have been doing it the longest, have you had to have your harps necks replaced? My concern is torquing, when the harp is on the column and not attached to a frame or the side of a van, then all the vibration goes up the neck and into the knee-block, which has always been said to be the most vulnerable part of the harp, most needing support and protection. And, in case of an accident, what happens when a harp is on its column? I imagine it could be quite deadly to the passengers.
    If you have to column load, try making a metal or wood frame for the back side of the harp if not both sides, put a thin padding on it and attach the harp strongly with straps. This frame could have rollers under it to slide in and out. But, that, too could pose a hazard. A well-padded frame under the column and along the side could be attached to the wall of a van. Again, it is more vulnerable in an accident than if laying down.
    Lynne Aspnes may still have a wonderful wooden form for laying the harp in and sliding in the car, the best “tray” I’ve ever seen. It has hand holes along the sides, as I recall, and can be attached to a handle on the wheel-well of a station wagon with bungee cords to secure it.

janna-bisceglia
    Participant

Thanks everyone! I never realized that loading a harp base first was an option, so I’ll have to play around with that. Interesting notes about column loading too….it has at least given me some ideas to get started with as I look!

The GMC Lambda models might do it when they have the quad seating.
    2007–2010 Saturn Outlook
    2007–present GMC Acadia
    2008–present Buick Enclave
    2009–present Chevrolet Traverse

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.