harpcolumn

harper or harpist?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break harper or harpist?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jessica A
    Participant

I wonder what lever harp players call themselves.

Pat Eisenberger
    Participant

Personally I refer to myself as a “harper,” but that is mainly because I play Celtic music almost exclusively. My lever harp is also very Irish in appearance.

When you say “harpist” I think that most people envision a pedal harp. While I currently also have a pedal harp, it’s not the one I take out in public.

Karen Johns
    Participant

I agree with Pat. It’s kind of like the difference between a fiddler and a violinist. I think of myself as mostly a harper, because of the venue of music I play, and the fact I play a lever rather than pedal harp.

Having said that, however…the line can become very blurred when you have a lever harp that looks like a pedal harp and you play only classical music on it (for instance). And, it depends on the person. Some people are touchy at being designated either a “harper” or a “harpist”. I’m cool with either term, but prefer harper.

Karen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies