Harp warming – construction made to look easy…

• Participant
    Alison on #230878

I came across this delightful story, where and who’s harp kit it was I don’t know but it’s beautiful… The story and the outcome !

• This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Alison.
    Participant
    wil-weten on #230890

Did you mean to add a link or an embedded video? After the three dots I see nothing at all, and I would love to read or hear that story.

Participant
    Alison on #230901

Thanks Will !

Participant
    wil-weten on #230902

Thanks for adding the embedded link, Alison! It’s a harp from Music Makers at harpkit.com I think it’s a Voyageur.
    Edit: I was wrong. It’s a Regency harp (though from Music Makers at harpkit.com).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by wil-weten.
    Participant
    Biagio on #230924

Yep, that’s a Musicmakers Regency built from the blueprints, soundboard and hardware which they offer for a little over $500 complete. Levers from MM would add another $540 and I’d estimate that the frame wood at $200 from a fine lumber dealer. So…let’s say $1250 plus some father-daughter fun and a learning experience. Not bad!

This design has been modified for lighter weight and is now called the Cheyenne; the kit sells for $2000 which includes everything pre-cut except levers.

As I’ve posted earlier and elsewhere, one could substitute a pre-made spruce sound board and Truitt or Camace levers for another $800 or so and voila! – a concert grade lever harp for about $2500 – $3500 depending on whether you buy just the plans etc. or the full fit. The first means access to a good work shop; from the kit, easy peasie.

Also not bad!

Biagio

Participant
    Alison on #230946

Oh dear, they have finished the harp without levers, how disappointing…

Participant
    wil-weten on #230947

Alison, I think the harp may get levers later on. I think it is pretty usual that putting on the levers of a harp that is not built in a factory can better wait until the harp has stabilized enough (e.g. the pulling of the levers will raise the soundboard a bit).

Participant
    Biagio on #230954

That’s true Wil. Companies that make the same model over and over mark the lever placement in the process of making sawdust. But for a kit or even more so built from plans it is better to wait.

Honestly, I’ve never understood why beginners sometimes insist on a full set of levers, considering how much they cost: about 20% of total materials expense for a 36.

To me a more rational approach would be – master technique first and use the saved cost for lessons and music. Then spend more money on the harp(grin).

I’d bet the Dad knows that and will get to it some day. If he can build a nice harp from blueprints, mounting levers will be no problem.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.