harpcolumn

Harp String Buzzing Because of Lever?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Harp String Buzzing Because of Lever?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hey All!

carl-swanson
    Participant

Aaron- You have to give me some more information. Are the strings buzzing when the lever is NOT engaged? Or when it is engaged? What kind of lever is it? Does the lever, when engaged, push the string against a stationary bar or pin, like the Loveland levers?

unknown-user
    Participant

Hey! It’s when the lever is not engaged. Engaging it pushes the lever against the string stopping it. I’m not sure. The lever has two metal bars that sit on either side of the string.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Aaron- Most levers push the string against a bar of some kind when engaged. When the lever is not engaged, the string should sit half way between the lever and the bar. If the column has warped a little, then the string may sit too close to the disengaged lever. If that is the case, then the adjustment is to hammer in the string post above the lever to move the string a little more away from the lever.

Look at the problem string with the lever in the “off” position and see how close to the lever the string is sitting. If it is too close, then hammer the string post in slightly and check the distance again. The string cannot be too close to either the open lever or the metal bar or you’ll get buzzes when the lever is not engaged.

unknown-user
    Participant

Carl,
    Thank you so much! I just did the hammer trick, and it sounds so much better!!! I wish I would have asked sooner… At first I just replaced the string because I thought they were bad… Such a waste…

Thanks so much!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.