harpcolumn

Changing Harp Semitone Levers

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Changing Harp Semitone Levers

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Elettaria

I’ve tried the new Teifi levers briefly at the Edinburgh harp festival last year, liked them immensely, and am getting them on my Mark Norris harp when I get to the top of his waiting list. I don’t think I know of any other luthiers using them. They have a very light action, easier to use if you’re doing a lot of fast lever flips.

<span style=”font-size: 16px;”>Teifi have a solid reputation, although some people find their harps heavy. The Eos model is a bit on the heavy side, the other models are in  line with other lever harps around. It could be the way they sit on you, that’s such a personal thing and I’m shorter than most adults, but it could also be that they’re making them lighter these days. I didn’t notice the weight when I was trying out a Telor with the new levers, I was mainly focusing on the feel of the levers. It had a nice full, rich sound, oddly stronger in the middle range, but I suspect it needed new bass wires or something, as I’ve never heard anyone else mention that problem. Beautiful harps.</span>

<span style=”font-size: 16px;”>Mark is using a version of the levers with a round head and less obvious colour markings, by the way. They sound easier to use but harder to see. I presume Teifi will put on that version instead if you ask, since they’re making them. They do look more elegant. I think I’ll be getting the round headed ones with the Cs and Fs painted or something, but I’ll sort that out with Mark when he’s making my harp. </span>

teifiharps
    Participant

Hi everyone, thanks for taking interest in our semitones!

Yes it’s ‘Tie-vee’ after the river Teifi that flows through Llandysul in West Wales where our workshop is (you can find out a bit more about us here) . The semitones are proving a bit of a hit, we’re quite pleased with them. Harpists are also finding they’re really great for jazz/blues and doing ‘hammerons’ (not sure how to describe it but I’m sure you know what I mean!)

You may be interested to know that we have a new lighter Eos harp coming out very soon (it’s around 3kgs lighter). The Telor has also been lightened.

Balfour -there is a shop in Vermont who act as our distributor and have our harps in their showroom from time to time. If you’re ever up that way you could give them a heads up. The website is http://www.vermontviolins.com

Best regards

Owen

balfour-knight
    Participant

Thanks, Owen!  My sweet wife wants to take a horse-drawn sleigh-ride in the snow next winter, so we may have to go to Vermont to attain that.  If we do, we will certainly visit your distributor and check out the Teifi harps–our pleasure!

Best wishes to all of you,

Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

jenharp79
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I thought I should just give you an update on the semitone situation. I came to realise that changing the semitones on my Ravenna just wasn’t cost effective or practical. I was so impressed by the Teifi Harps themselves that I’ve actually gone and bought an Ash Telor and I am absolutely over moon with it! The sound is full and gorgeous and the semitones are really great. They are a wonderful company to deal with also, I can’t recommend them highly enough.

All the best

Jennifer

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies