harpcolumn

Harp rentals in/near Ballyvaughan or Gleann Colm Cille?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Harp rentals in/near Ballyvaughan or Gleann Colm Cille?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Hey all,

I’m going to be in Ireland for three weeks this summer (after which I’ll be on a European cruise for another three weeks).

Audrey, think about making for yourself a practice “harp” that can be packed flat, no larger than your suitcase, or even foldable to give you twice the range.

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

Try posting a request in http://www.harp.net/ which is an Irish-based trad harp umbrella website (maintained by Michael Hambly in Co. Mayo – he’s the father of Grainne). You should get some sort of response, and more of the relevent people will probably see your request there. Also trawl through the adverts on the site to find out who’s offering what services. And try the harpmaker Paddy Cafferky, just in case he maintains some stock for hire: Paddy Cafferky (Lisduff, Craughwell, County Galway), or else he may be able to suggest a source. Enjoy your trip!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Thanks, Bonnie, I’ll give that site a look.

Patricia, I’m only taking one very small suitcase (basically just a glorified backpack) to Ireland, and part of it is going to be taken up with a sheet set, as I’m staying in self-catering places and hostels, so I don’t really have room for anything extra.

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

Just thought of this – trying asking Michael Hambly himself (webmaster) if he knows of any harp rentals. At least two of his daughters play harp, and if he’s administering a website like that he’s bound to know a lot of info. He’s also extremely nice (as far as the small experience I’ve had in dealing with him goes) so it’s worth asking. Paddy Cafferky is a lovely man too, and if he has no hire stock be sure and ask him if he can direct you anywhere. He’s lived in the area for decades, and harp people tend to get to know each other pretty quickly. He may be able to point you to some private harpists who have a spare instrument and would like to make a few bob by hiring it out. Worth a shot –

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Thanks…I’ve just fired off an email to him.

Audrey

Seoid OC
    Participant

If that doesn’t work out, try contacting Cairde na Cruite http://www.cairdenacruite.com, the Irish harp society – more information on their website.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.