harpcolumn

Harp protection for natural disaster (fire, quake, H20, etc)

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Harp protection for natural disaster (fire, quake, H20, etc)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Not to be alarmist but we had to evacuate for the 2007 Witch Creek fire and I spent a frightening couple of minutes yesterday with an arm around each harp while my wood and glass house rocked and creaked

dawn-penland
    Participant

My aunt used to live in L.A., she found her harp

carl-swanson
    Participant

When I visited Dale Barco several years ago, he had cords hanging from the ceiling that he could loop around the neck of a pedal harp. At first I couldn’t figure out what they were for, not coming from an earthquake zone.

harpglo-jean
    Participant

Hi Holly, we felt the quake yesterday too, our 1938 house creaked and shook, even though we’re about five hours away from the epicenter in Baja, but, very scary indeed!, You never get used to them, ever!.

I have two of my lever harps secured (or I’d like to think so) under my staircase, and a third, medium size harp, is in my dining room wedged between a chair, heavy bench and a heavy music stand, and the harps were okay, except my Ravenna 26 popped an, “E” string right after the quake, weird!.

kay-lister

WOW – so sorry for you westerners!

Angie Kelly
    Participant

Years ago I went to the summer camp at Shenandoah and the harp professor there told us about a time when she lived in Auburn, AL and the house was flooding (can’t recall if it was tornado/hurricane or thunderstorm related or what) and she picked up her harp and set it on top of the toilet lid.

What a good question. Everyone should check the fine print of their insurance policies for natural disaster coverage.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.