harpcolumn

Harp Karaoke

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Harp Karaoke

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    David Ice
    Participant

Ok, here’s a new thread.

I had been playing for barely a year, self taught, and played a few christmas tunes for the nursing home christmas party.

kay-lister

Hey David,

Actually, this happened to me just last weekend.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

kreig-kitts

Maybe you could play songs that are harder to sing, like “Take On Me” with that falsetto screech in the chorus.

Follow it up by “Blinded by the Light,” where you know they’ll botch the lyrics nobody can ever make out. “Wrapped up like a dude another rotor on the right…”

Then work in a song completely inappropriate for the singer, so that a burly 300-pound fellow has to belt out “I Feel Pretty,” assuming you’re not in a venue where that would be a normal thing, in which case you pull our your heavy metal fakebook.

Finally, you can play lots of songs that are duets, and hope they don’t have a buddy ready to join in.

David Ice
    Participant

Kreig,

I LOVE IT!

David Ice
    Participant

Also, a friend suggested that for women singers, play “Macho Man” by the Village People!

paul-wren
    Participant

This is interesting. I have had this happen many times in the past because I played songs that people knew. My instinct was to slow down and follow them, that is the accompanist in me I guess.

A weird one that happened was I was playing before a wedding. I have an arrangement that I did of Chi il bel sogno di Doretta from Pucinni’s La Rondine. Not many people know this beautiful aria, but from behind me, as I was playing, this woman began to sing, what a lovely voice she had! I continued to play and she sang never missing a beat!

alexander-rider
    Participant

I love that aria, Paul! Whose arrangement is it?!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Just be glad you play the pedal harp, David. What I really, really hate is when I’m playing, say, “Moonlight in Vermont” or something and someone starts singing behind me and I know it’s Vic Damone or Rod Stewart or Tony Bennett or someone like that, because I know what’s coming–everything is just absolutely swell till the bridge and then I hear, ‘Hey! It should modulate to [key of their choice] there!”

David Ice
    Participant

Well, Barbara, for me it would be a train wreck either way!

paul-wren
    Participant

Hi Alexander, it is one that I did myself.

paul-wren
    Participant

If you can find the music, it is not a hard piece at all to play on the harp. Typical Puccini writing. I just beef it up with bigger chords and arpeggios in the B section.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Hi David – while

Geri McQuillen
    Participant

Thank you Kreig!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies