harpcolumn

harp in checked baggage?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists harp in checked baggage?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Someone may have asked this question before, but I can’t find a thread about it, so here goes…

I am moving overseas (to Thailand) soon, and I really want to bring my harp with me. I am actually looking at purchasing a previously owned Triplett Christina harp because it’s a lot smaller than the Blevins harp I own right now.

However, I am running into a lot of problems trying to figure out how to get my harp to Thailand with me. I would like it to fly with me on the plane somehow (I am flying primarily on China Airlines). I’m pretty sure it won’t work as a carry-on, because it’s just a bit too big. It could work as checked baggage, but I’m a little nervous about that. Has anyone ever done that with a harp? If it was very carefully packaged in a good case with a lot of padding, do you think it would be okay?

One other option might be to bring it as a gate-checked baggage item (what people do with baby strollers and items like that…carry it to the gate with you, and then the airport personnel load it into baggage from there. At every airport I would have to pick it up again and take it to the next gate). Has anyone ever done that?

Any advice would be very much appreciated…this is all new to me, but I really want to figure out a way to bring a harp with me. Thanks!

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Ahna,

Here’s a relatively recent discussion of this question on this forum:

Lap harps and airplanes

I had the idea that you could buy a small unassembled kit harp, from either Stoney End or from Musicmakers, and then put it together yourself in Thailand (or pay someone to put it together for you, possibly).

Chris Asmann
    Participant

I would not ever trust a harp to any airline without an ATA quality road case. With a properly made road case you can check or ship your harp relatively worry-free.

You simply cannot pack any musical instrument well enough on your own. You have no idea what baggage handlers are capable of. Baggage checked at the gate is just tossed into the hold, it doesn’t fare

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.