harpcolumn

Harp in carton

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Harp in carton

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Barbara Henniger
    Participant

I am excited to say I was in Portland last week at the Harptacular weekend and with the help of Sasha Boldachev decided on and bought a new Salvi Apollo Concert Grand. It sounds gorgeous and he chose it to play at his concert later that evening. My dilemma now is it is being shipped to Vancouver BC and once it clears Canada Border Security I can go pick it up and would like to travel home to my small town of Penticton BC with the harp still in its shipping carton. The dimensions are rather large and I am wondering if it will fit in a large mini Van or do I need a cargo van? Has anyone else picked up and transferred a pedal harp in the shipping carton? Suggestions welcomed!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    charles-nix
    Participant

Haven’t moved one–but Lyon & Healy shows the size of their shipping carton as 81”x27”x50”. I can’t see that being able to lay flat in any mini van. I wouldn’t want to transport a harp propped up on a wheel well. I would want it flat or standing securely on edge and properly tied off. That will barely fit in my cargo van flat, and won’t go through the 49″ door height of my cargo van.

Can you measure the space available in the mini-van?

Barbara Henniger
    Participant

I didn’t think it would fit in a mini van but I’ve never owned one so wasn’t sure if there were bigger ones out there I could rent. I am considering renting a cargo van to transport the harp home but before I considered that possibility I was looking for suggestions. It sounds like I may have to discard the carton and transport the harp on its own. The drive is about 5 hours over a mountain highway. I have transported my teachers concert grand in my previous car, a 2006 Toyota RAV. We now own a 2011 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen and a 2015 Volkswagen Toureag. The Toureag is big enough I think for the harp on it’s own but if it is not, will still have to rent a vehicle. Thank you for your feedback. All comments welcome.

Barbara Henniger
    Participant

I didn’t think it would fit in a mini van but I’ve never owned one so wasn’t sure if there were bigger ones out there I could rent. I am considering renting a cargo van to transport the harp home but before I considered that possibility I was looking for suggestions. It sounds like I may have to discard the carton and transport the harp on its own. The drive is about 5 hours over a mountain highway. I have transported my teachers concert grand in my previous car, a 2006 Toyota RAV. We now own a 2011 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen and a 2015 Volkswagen Toureag. The Toureag is big enough I think for the harp on it’s own I hope.

Charles
    Participant

What happened? How did this all turn out???

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics